Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Workbasket Wednesday: Vintage Ads Earn it!




Today's Workbasket Wednesday is a collection of ads. As I look through my old Workbasket magazine collection, I've often noticed that advertising has changed a lot in the last sixty to seventy years. One of the things that seems to be a steady theme in vintage magazine are ads not to buy products, but for you to sell them. Sure, you may see an ad here or there in a modern magazine for you to earn money selling something, but it seems like the amount in vintage magazines is much higher. I'm not really sure what that says about our consumerism culture, but it does make me wonder if maybe we're less likely today to want to earn extra money by working an extra "job". Maybe we're just less productive in general, but what ever it is, I hope you enjoy looking at some of the opportunities you could've had to earn some extra money in 1951.


Do you do anything to earn extra money on the side? Is it harder now with the internet and easy at home shopping for individuals to sell products? Do you wish you could take advantage of any of the opportunities in these ads?

2 comments:

  1. those adds are all so cute

    retro rover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love vintage ads, too. I have an entire Pinterest board devoted to them.
      Sarah

      Delete